Thursday, October 21, 2010

AS TIME PASSES...



How does a author start a story in the middle. How does an artist start a painting on an unblank canvass. How do we walk before we can crawl. How do I start this entry when so much has happened.
If I had to sum up everything since my last entry in July, I would have to list my travels, my experiences, my changes as a person, my lessons learnt, my tears cried, my spiritual growth, things I have come to realise, my struggles, what I have done since I have been here, my tastes, touches and smells, things I have grown to love, my love, what I like about London and much, much more.
When I arrived in London, the first thing I thought was "Man, but this airport (Heathrow) is over rated!" How is it that a third world country like South Africa can have better and more user-friendly baggage trolleys than a first world country like London? Did I mention nicer? Heathrow was definitely not the glitz and glam I expected it to be. Was I already proved to be wrong about my preconceived ideas of London? I remember the first thing I realised as we descended and everything below become more clearer the closer we got to the ground; so many open, green, lush fields and hundreds and thousands of trees. It looked very rural - I soon learnt that the roads were just very tiny and narrow and that you couldn't see them from so high above and through the dense forestry. The other picture I have in mind is that of attached houses.
I remember I kept saying OK, but where's London? Where the buses and the people and the queen's palace and the city and and and... I soon learnt that London was NOTHING like I expected it to be. After a couple days with Heidi, it was time to move to my new beginnings; 22 Bagshot Road, Worplesdon, Guildford, GU3 3PZ. The Evans/Pirie family are wonderful. The kids are cool and the parents are really chilled. I dont want to talk much about my job itself except that I work little, relax lots and have to vacuum twice a week. Projectile puke and myself have met recently and I consider Pampers to be my new best friend. Cow & Gate and I catch up atleast every morning and evening and its called a 'nursery', not a 'play school' like back home. "Yeah" is now part of my daily vocab and I consider bacon and bake beans as part of a balanced diet.

I have learnt and experienced and grown so much in such a short time. One thing in particular is that working with children, you definately learn to sacrifice yourself and it has taken that 'only-child' syndrome out of me. I have been in London for just over 3 months now and if I have so much has happened in such a short time, then I look forward to the rest of my time here. I don't regret this move. And by knowing that, I have reached my goal. Live with no regrets. This journey has been well worth the sacrifice. It has only produced positive outcome.
"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - - Hellen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment